= Join Social Justice 12 for reminders of homework and such at the following website: https://www.remind.com/join/3b94e
= follow the blog at spencerdcss.wordpress.com – you need to do this!!!
- finish Michael Sandel video (The Case for Cannibalism)
- group discussion – do-you-agree-with-utilitarianism
- class discussion
- utilitarianism-strengths-and-weaknesses reading
- ASSIGNMENT: What’s the Right Thing to Do:
- finish watching to 15:27 of What’s the Right Thing to Do?
- jot down the meanings of “consequential” and “categorical” morality
- continue watching the above video starting at 24:28 – end
- Be able to answer the following questions:
- Who is Jeremy Bentham?
- What is Utilitarianism?
- What is his idea of the right or just thing to do? What is “utility”?
- How do we use the concepts of pleasure and pain to act morally
- How can Bentham’s morality be summed up?
Exploring what it means to "act justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with (our) God"